@TylerPittaway back with you on Coffee & Tea this week; and it’s been an absolute treat today linking up with local leaders, local groups and generally just interesting locals on the show.
As you’ve probably seen all over the site – we hired in a Routemaster bus today on special charter to drive the team around Basildon and hear people’s Basildon Memories. Basildon turns 70 this year, so we need to do things in style, right?!
So then – who did we hear from on the show?
At Wat Tyler Country Park
At Basildon Hospital
- Danny spoke with Jim Shrub, the Town Crier
- Ros spoke with Cllr Derrick Fellowes, the Deputy Mayor of Basildon
- Johnny spoke with Matt Everard, the owner of the world’s fastest Tuk Tuk – yes, really!
- Johnny spoke with Lady Sidra Naeem, the Deputy Leftenant of Essex
- Aris spoke with the Basildon Sporting Village staff;
- Bradley, Duty Manager
- Ben, Lifeguard
- Tori, Front of House
- Ros spoke with the Mayor of Basildon, David Burton-Sampson
- Johnny spoke with Cllr Maryam Yaqub
- Steve spoke with Alan Newman from Basildon Hospital Radio
- Oliver from Radio Club spoke with New Town Sounds
Also on the show – as we’re talking about Basildon memories today; it had to be a local trip back in time…
Back in Time
This week I played one of my absolute favorite tracks from local band done-good, Depeche Mode:
Also on the show:
- Robert De Niro, 76
- Donnie Wahlberg, 50
- Thierry Henry, 42
On This Day in Music
- 1955 – Elvis Presley released what would become his first No.1 hit, ‘I Forgot to Remember to Forget / Mystery Train’
- 1960 – The Beatles began their first Hamburg engagement at the Indra Club
- 1968 – The Doors started a four-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Waiting For The Sun
Want to hear all the fun again? Listen again on our Gateway Listen Again service right, here.
That’s your lot from me, on what’s been one of my favourite shows in my whole Gateway career – no lie! 🙂 I’m off on my late-summer break now – I’ll be back in your ears soon! 🙂