F1 update – Australian Grand Prix
Round 3 of the 2022 Formula 1 world championship took the drivers and teams to Albert Park in Melbourne, Australia. This race saw the return of 4x world champion Sebastian Vettel after he was forced to miss the first two races after testing positive for Covid.
The race itself saw Charles Leclerc lead from lights to flag after starting from pole, set fastest lap to win for the second time this year for Ferrari with Red Bull’s Sergio Perez finishing second and Mercedes George Russell finishing third. 7x time world champion Sir Lewis Hamilton was fourth in his Mercedes with McLaren pair of Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo finishing fifth and sixth respectively.
Australian GP top 5:
- 1st: Charles Leclerc – Ferrari
- 2nd: Sergio Perez – Red Bull
- 3rd: George Russell – Mercedes
- 4th: Sir Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes
- 5th: Lando Norris – McLaren
- Reigning world champion Max Verstappen suffered his second retirement of the year in three races with engine failure on lap 39 for Red Bull.
- Sebastian Vettel bought out the second safety car after crashing out on lap 23.
- Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz spun out on lap 2 which bought out the first safety car.
- Alex Albon’s Williams didn’t pit until lap 57 and earned Williams their first point of the year with a tenth place finish.
- Aston Martin Racing driver Lance Stroll was handed a 5 second time penalty for weaving in his battle with Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas.
Aston and Cameron Perkins reviewed the Australian Grand Prix in further detail and previewed the next race (round 4) on the calendar the Emilia Romanga Grand Prix which will be held at Imola in Italy on the weekend of 22nd – 24th April.
Ads help us keep this site online