F1 update – Austrian GP
Round 11 of the 2022 Formula 1 World Championship took the teams and drivers to the Styrian hills of Spielberg, Austria and the Red Bull Ring for the Austrian Grand Prix.
In the race Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc passed Red Bull’s Max Verstappen three times to claim his third win of 2022 with Verstappen finishing second whilst third went the way of Mercedes driver Sir Lewis Hamilton.
Austrian GP top 5:
- 1st: Charles Leclerc – Ferrari
- 2nd: Max Verstappen – Red Bull
- 3rd: Sir Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes
- 4th: George Russell – Mercedes
- 5th: Esteban Ocon – Alpine
- For the second time this year, a sprint qualifying race took place on Saturday with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen taking the win and the pole position for the race on Sunday.
- The opening lap of the race saw a collision between George Russell’s Mercedes and Sergio Perez’s Red Bull, Russell would be given a 5 second time penalty whilst Perez would retire on lap 25 due to car damage from the resulting collision.
- Alfa Romeo’s Guanyu Zhou, McLaren’s Lando Norris and Alpha Tauri’s Pierre Gasly were given 5 second time penalties for exceeding track limits.
- Haas’s Mick Schumacher had the best race weekend of his career by finishing sixth and earning driver of the day in the process.
- Another collision happened during but this time between Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel and Alpha Tauri’s Pierre Gasly with the latter earning himself a 5 second time penalty.
- Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz was running third for the entire race until lap 58 when is engine blew and he was forced to retire from the race.
The next round of the 2022 Formula 1 World Championship will take place on 22nd to 24th July in Paul Ricard, France for the French Grand Prix.
Here are Aston and regular contributor Cameron Perkins.
Ads help us keep this site online