F1 update – Azerbaijan GP
Round 8 of this years Formula 1 world championship took the drivers and teams to the streets of Baku for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.
Red Bull’s reigning world champion Max Verstappen picked up his fifth victory of the year by heading home team mate Sergio Perez with Mercedes driver George Russell finished third and his team mate Sir Lewis Hamilton finished fourth.
Azerbaijan GP top 5:
- 1st: Max Verstappen – Red Bull
- 2nd: Sergio Perez – Red Bull
- 3rd: George Russell – Mercedes
- 4th: Sir Lewis Hamilton – Mercedes
- 5th: Pierre Gasly – Alpha Tauri
- Both Ferrari’s of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz retired with engine and gearbox failures respectively, the former whilst leading.
- Alfa Romeo’s Guanyu Zhou and Haas’s Kevin Magnussen both retired with seperate mechnical failures.
- Alpha Tauri’s Yuki Tsunoda had a DRS malfunction which caused him to pit for repairs.
- William’s Nicholas Latifi was given a 10 second stop/go penalty for having a team personal on the grid seconds before the formation lap, but was then given a 5 second penalty for ignoring blue flags during the race.
- Mercedes’s Sir Lewis Hamilton complained of a minor back problem after the race where drivers are calling on the FIA to sort the porposing on the cars.
The next race will take place on 17th – 19th June at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Canada for the Canadian Grand Prix, round 9 of this years championship.
Here is the latest from the world of Formula 1 with Aston Avery and Cameron Perkins.
Ads help us keep this site online