F1 update – Italian GP
Round 14 of the 2023 Formula 1 World Championship took the teams and drivers to legendary Monza Circuit for the Italian Grand Prix.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen broke the record for consecutive wins by racking his tenth win in a row and his twelfth victory of 2023 with his team mate Sergio Perez finishing second with Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz finishing third.
Italian GP – top 5:
- 1st: Max Verstappen – Red Bull
- 2nd: Sergio Perez – Red Bull
- 3rd: Carlos Sainz – Ferrari
- 4th: Charles Leclerc – Ferrari
- 5th: George Russell – Mercedes
- Alpha Tauri’s Yuki Tsunoda’s engine would fail on the formation lap which ended his race before it even started.
- Alpine’s Esteban Ocon would retire on lap 40 with steering problems.
- Mercedes’s Lewis Hamilton would collide with McLaren’s Oscar Piastri resulting in the McLaren driving pitting for a change of front wing and the Mercedes picking up a 5 second penalty for the collision.
- Mercedes’s George Russell and McLaren’s Oscar Piastri would both incur a 5 second penalty for leaving the track and gaining advantage,
- William’s Logan Sargeant would incur a 5 second penalty for colliding with Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas.
- All 10 Formula 1 teams were in compliance to the cost cap rules which will mean no team will be punished.
- Mercedes announced that their driver line up for 2024 will be unchanged with 7 time world champion Lewis Hamilton signing a new 2 year deal to race for the team.
- It is also likely that Liam Lawson will continue to race for Alpha Tauri until Daniel Ricciardo recovers from his wrist injury he sustained in practice for the Dutch Grand Prix.
- In Formula 3, Brazilian driver Gabriel Bortoletto wrapped up the 2023 Formula 3 Championship.
- Denmark’s Bastian Buus won the 2023 Porsche Supercup title.
The next round of the 2023 Formula 1 World Championship will take on the Marina Bay Circuit in Singapore for the Singapore Grand Prix on 15th – 17th September.
Aston and Cameron Perkins with the latest F1 update.
Ads help us keep this site online