Ads help us keep this site online
17th May 2021
Posted by Gateway 97.8
Here is the latest news from the world of Motorsport in the last week.
F1 Monaco GP Preview:
F1 will head to Monaco for round 5 of the championship. This historic circuit first hosted a F1 GP in 1950 and is the toughest circuit on the calendar to overtake on. Notable moments as Monaco include:
- 1982 – Riccardo Patrese (Brabham-Ford) won after a chaotic ending as the lead changed 5 times in the last 5 Laps,
- 1988 – Ayrton Senna crashing out at Portier with 12 laps to go after the Brazlian dominated the weekend qualifying over 1.3 seconds faster than his McLaren teammate and eventual race winner, Alain Prost,
- 1996 – Olivier Panis (Ligier) won his only F1 race in changeable conditions,
- 2019 – Battle for the lead between Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) and Max Verstappen (Red Bull).
Indycar GMR GP:
Top 3 Drivers:
- 1st: Rinus VeeKay
- 2nd: Romain Grosjean
- 3rd: Alex Palou
- Romain Grosjean took his maiden Indycar pole position in for the GMR GP in only his third Indycar race,
- A great battle of strategy between Romain Grosjean and Rinus VeeKay was exciting to watch as they diced for the lead on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.
Next Indycar Meeting: Indy 500 presented By Gainbridge (30th May 2021) (qualifying will take place next weekend).
Nascar Drydene 400:
- 1st: Alex Bowman
- 2nd: Kyle Larson
- 3rd: Chase Elliot
Next Nascar Meeting: Circuit Of The Americas in Austin, Texas (23rd May 2021)
Tune in from 10am every Monday to listen live to the motorsport update live on Gateway 97.8 on Daytime with Aston Avery.