Last week’s motorsport action was full of fun and plenty of surprises were in store, including: F1 visited Portimao for the Portuguese GP, Indycar headed to Texas Motor Speedway for a double header and Nascar visited Kansas for the Bushey McBusch 400.
F1 Portuguese GP top 5:
- 1st: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes),
- 2nd: Max Verstappen (Red Bull),
- 3rd: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
- 4th: Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
- 5th: Lando Norris (McLaren)
- Driver of the day: Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
- Fastest lap: Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes) (1.18.865)
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton dominated the second half of the race to claim his 97th career victory,
- Alpine were one of the weekend’s biggest stars with Esteban Ocon 6th after starting 7th on the grid whilst his teammate, Fernando Alonso finished 8th after starting 13th on the grid. (The Spaniard had strong pace on his second stint),
- Mclaren’s Daniel Ricciardo had a dismal qualifying starting 16th, however he recovered to finish on the road in 9th,
- Kimi Rakkionen (Alfa Romeo) was the only major retirement from the race after running into the back of his teammate, Antonio Giovinazzi on lap 2 down the pit straight,
- George Russell gave Williams their best qualifying in a long time by starting 11th on the grid, however in the race he tumbled down the order.
Next F1 Meeting: Spanish GP (9th May) (Circuit De Catalunya)
Geneyes 300 Top 3 Drivers:
- 1st: Scott Dixon,
- 2nd: Scott McLaughlin,
- 3rd: Patricio O’Ward
- There was an all Kiwi 1-2 with Scott Dixon winning the first Texas meeting with Indycar Rookie, Scott Mclaughlin taking a fantastic 2nd,
- Sebastian Bourdais and James Hinchcliffe both suffered huge crashes during the Geneyes 300 as they both hit the wall at high speed.
Expel 375 Top 3 Drivers:
- 1st: Patricio O’Ward,
- 2nd: Josef Newgarden,
- 3rd: Graham Rahal
Next Indycar Meeting: GMR GP (Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course) (15th May 2021)
Nascar Bushey McBusch 400 At Kansas:
- 1st: Kyle Busch (Toyota)
- 2nd: Kevin Harvick (Ford)
- 3rd: Brad Keselowski (Ford)
Next Nascar Meeting: Darlington (9th May)
Tune in from 10am every Monday to listen live to the motorsport update live only on Gateway 97.8 on Daytime with Aston Avery.