Ads help us keep this site online
Below is the latest news from the world of world of motosport from the past week.
Last week mutiple race winner, Carlos Reutemann passed away at the age of 79. Reutemann was known for his attacking driver style and came cose for Williams in 1981 as he finished runner up in the World Chsmpionship to eventual champion, Brabham’s Nelson Piquet.
Formula E New York E Prix:
Round 10 Top 3:
- 1st: Maximilian Gunther (BMW),
- 2nd: Jean Eric Vergne (DS Techeetah),
- 3rd: Lucas Di Grassi (Audi)
Round 11 Top 3:
- 1st: Sam Bird (Jaguar),
- 2nd: Nick Cassidy (Virgin),
- 3rd: Antonio Felix Da Costa (DS Techeetah)
Nascar Cup Series Atlanta 2:
Quaker State 400 Presented By Wallmart (Top 3 Drivers):
- 1st: Kurt Busch (Chevrolet)
- 2nd: Kyle Busch (Toyota)
- 3rd: Martin Truex Jr (Toyota)
F1 British GP Preview:
F1 will head to Silverstone for Round 10 of the 2021 season in front of it’s biggest crowd since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic with over 130,00 fans expected to attend the event as part of the UK Government’s pilot events programme. Silverstone hosted the first ever F1 World Championship race in 1950 won by Giusseppe Farina in an Alfa Romeo at the time.
SIlversone has had a number of track changes over the years with the most recent in 2010 when the Arena Complex, featuring Abbey, Farm, Village, The Loop and Aintree, replacing the iconic Bridge Corner with F1 moving to the International Pit Lane from 2011. The Circuit features many great corners including: Abbey, Club, Brooklands, Maggots, Beckets, Chapel and Stowe. F1 will provide the British fans with some glittering motorsport action between 16th-18th July 2021.
Classic British GP Moments Include:
- 2008: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) took his first British GP win in a rain affected race,
- 2003: Man runs out onto the track down the Hanger Straight,
- 1987: Nigel Mansell (Williams) wins the race after a famous overtake on his teammate, Nelson Piquet down into Stowe,
- 2010: Mark Webber (Red Bull) wins after his teammate, Sebastian Vettel suffered a puncture following contact with Lewis Hamilton (McLaren) down into Copse.
Goodwood Festival Of Speed Winner: Rob Bell (Mclaren 720 S GT3X) (45.01)
Tune in every Monday to listen live to the motorsport update on Gateway 97.8 from 10am on Daytime with Aston Avery.