Ads help us keep this site online
7th June 2021
Posted by Gateway 97.8
Below is a recap of the biggest news from the world of motorsport in the past week.
F1 Azerbaijan GP:
Top 5 Drivers:
- 1st: Sergio Perez (Red Bull),
- 2nd: Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin Racing),
- 3rd: Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri),
- 4th: Charles Leclerc (Ferrari),
- 5th: Lando Norris (McLaren)
- Turn 15 claimed many victims during qualifying with Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo) and Lance Stroll (Aston Martin Racing) during qualifying session 1 on the Saturday afternoon,
- Sergio Perez (Red Bull) took his second career win and his first for Red Bull at a chaotic and crazy Azerbaijan GP in Baku,
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull) suffered heartbreak after a tyre failure caused him to have a massive crash on lap 47 of the race which brought out a red flag,
- Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) brought out the safety car midway through the race after he suffered a tyre failure on the main start/finish straight as he retirement capped off a terrible weekend for the Canadian,
- Mercedes endured it’s worst weekend in F1 for a long time as 7 time World Champion Lewis Hamilton locked up and went off on the restart after the red flag whilst his teammate Valtteri Bottas lacked pace with the W12 all weekend,
- Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin Racing) and Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri) both completed the podium. (2nd place was Sebastian Vettel’s highest finishing postion since Turkey 2020 and also a first podium for Aston Martin Racing),
- The two Haas drivers of Nikita Mazepin and Mick Schumacher both got a bit close for the company down into T1.
- Pole position: Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
- Race winner: Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
- Driver of the day: Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin Racing)
- Next F1 meeting: French GP (18th-20th June 2021) (Paul Ricard)
Nascar Cup Series:
Toyota Save Mart 350 (Top 3 Drivers)
- 1st: Kyle Larson (Chevrolet)
- 2nd: Chase Elliot (Chevrolet)
- 3rd: Martin Truex Jr (Toyota)
Key Motorsport Dates For Your Diary:
- Next Nascar meeting is the All Stars Open and All Stars Races at Texas Motor Speedway which will be held from the 13th-14th June 2021.
- Indycar will return on the 12th-13th June 2021 with a double header as The Chevrolet GP of Detroit takes place on the streets of Motown’s original city.
- The BTCC will head to Snetterton for Rounds 4, 5 and 6 of the championship this weekend (12th-13th June 2021) with a limited number of fans allowed to attend as Covid-19 restrictions are being eased across England.
Tune in from 10am every Monday on Gateway 97.8 to listen live to the motorsport update on Daytime with Aston Avery. In the meantime, you can listen to lots of other great shows throughout the week on Gateway 97.8.