Image

95% don’t know the impact of nutrition on sight

22nd February 2021
Posted by Aston Avery

New research reveals the worrying levels of ignorance when it comes to eye health. The survey reveals that a third (33%) said it’s imperative to have good eye sight for day to day life, 31% said that they’d be devastated if they became partially sighted and over a quarter (28%) said they losing their sight would be their biggest fear. But although it’s a big worry for many 24% admitted that they take their eye health for granted and 13% said they don’t think about their eye health at all.

For 1 in 10 Brits there’s an acceptance that losing vision is a natural part of the aging process (10%) even though that for 26% of the UK it would make them feel isolated or alone, and 17% don’t believe they could continue working without their eyesight, which makes it surprising that an incredible 88% don’t take steps to improve their eye health have no idea what to do.

Although the leading common cause of blindness in the UK is Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) almost half (45%) said they didn’t know what AMD is and a third (29%) said they didn’t know the symptoms of AMD. 95% of the UK didn’t know that diet and nutrition can reduce the likelihood of developing AMD with most respondents that thought they knew which nutrients could reduce AMD incorrectly stating that Vitamins C and D would reduce the likelihood with only 5% knowing the actual nutrients that can help.

Aston spoke to Emma Heduan from MACUSave to discuss the issues relating to eye health.