Last weekend there was plenty of racing action as F1 heads to the Nurburgring for the Round 11 of the Championship and the BTCC visits Croft for Rounds 19, 20 and 21 of the 2020 season. There was plenty of action throughout the weekend.
F1 Eifel GP Top 5 Drivers
- 1st: Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- 2nd: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
- 3rd: Daniel Ricciardo (Renault)
- 4th: Sergio Perez (Racing Point)
- 5th: Carlos Sainz (McLaren)
Driver Of The Day: Nico Hulkenberg (Racing Point)
Drivers who completed the points in 6th to 10th were: Alpha Tauri’s Pierre Gasly, Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc, Racing Point’s Nico Hulkenberg, Hass’s Romain Grosjean and Alfa Romeo’s Antonio Giovinazzi.
- Alfa Romeo’s Kimi Raikkonen was handed a 10 second time penalty for colliding with Williams’s George Russell at T1.
- McLaren’s Lando Norris was among a number of drivers to retire from the race after his McLaren MCL 35 suffered an ERS issue mid race as he pulled over on the exit of T4 to retire the car.
- Red Bull’s Alex Albon, collided with Alpha Tauri‘s Daniil Kvyat at T15. (The Russian suffered front wing damage). Red Bull’s Alex Albon would be awarded a 5 second time penalty from the stewards after causing a collision..
- Mercedes’s Valtteri Bottas retired from the race with a mechanical failure after starting from pole.
- Renault’s Daniel Ricciardo secured the teams first podium since Malaysia 2011 and the first since the brands return as a full works team in 2016.
- Mercedes’s Lewis Hamilton won his 91st Carrer F1 GP at the Nurburgring last Saturday as he equalled 7 time F1 World Champion, Michael Schumacher’s tally of 91 GP Wins.
The British Toruing Car Championship headed to Croft in Darlington, North Yorkshire for Rounds 19, 20 and 21 of the 2020 season. Laser Tools Racing’s Ash Sutton lead the championship heading into the meeting by 4 points from WSR Team BMW’s Colin Turkington.
BTCC Croft Results
Race 1 Results (Amended)
- 1st: Josh Cook (BTC Racing)
- 2nd: Jake Hill (MB Motorsport Accelerated By Blue Square)
- 3rd: Colin Turkington (WSR Team BMW)
- Ash Sutton and Rory Butcher collide at Tower, (Butcher was handed a time penalty for clash)
- Jack Butel retires for the first time this season.
Race 2 Results (Amended)
- 1st: Josh Cook (BTC Racing)
- 2nd: Matt Neal (Halfords Yuasa Racing)
- 3rd: Jake Hill (MB Motorsport Accelerated By Blue Square)
- Colin Turkington retires after contact which sends him drifting into the Gravel.
- Laser Tools Racing’s Ash Sutton endured forgettable second race after he made contact with the MB Motoesport’s Jake Hill as his Laser Tools Racing Infinti Q50 tried to make a divebomb lunge into the hairpin.
- Halford’s Yuasa Racing’s Matt Neal received a Time penalty for making contact with the BTC Racing Honda Civic Type R FK8 of Josh Cook on the last lap which meant he lost the victory.
Race 3 Results
- 1st: Tom Ingram (Toyota Gazzo Racing UK with Ginsters)
- 2nd: Dan Cammish (Halfords Yuasa Racing)
- 3rd: Tom Chilton (BTC Racing)
- GKR Trade Price Cars’s Bobby Thompson suffered a frightening crash early on after going off a the Jim Clark Esses as the Audi S3 barrel rolled multiple times and landed on its roof on the huge grassland runoff.
- Team Parker Racing’s Stephen Jelley had a spin at Clervaux on Lap 1 and Motorbase’s Rory Butcher spun off on his own at the exit of Hawthorn Chicane Lap 1.
- Team BMW’s Colin Turkington also endured a difficult race after making contact on the first lap.
Tune in from 10am every Monday on Daytime with Aston Avery to listen live to the motorsport update only on Gateway 97.8.