Ads help us keep this site online
The recipients of the award were announced in a presentation at a meeting of Full Council
on Thursday 19 October 2023.
The Alf Dove Award is presented to members of the local community to recognise and mark the significant community service they have given to the Borough.
For 2023, six recipients were selected to receive the award. Each individual was nominated
by a Basildon Borough Councillor.
This year’s recipients of the Alf Dove Award:
- Carol Franklin – Carol was recognised for her dedication in the role of Chairman of
the Steeple View Community Association.
- Jean Thompson – Jean was recognised for her tireless efforts campaigning against
anti-social behaviour in Pitsea.
- Paul Reeves – Paul was recognised for his many years supporting the Laindon
Wombles litter-picking group.
- Lorna Mumford – Lorna was recognised for her dedication in the role of Chair of the
Outwood Common Tenant and Residents’ Group.
- Phil Norton – Phil was recognised for his support in setting up the street pastors
- Brian Knight (posthumous) – Brian was recognised for his service to the borough,
particularly in his role as Sacristan at St Martins.
A commemorative plaque will be placed among recently planted trees in Gloucester Park,
Basildon and the recipients received a replica plaque and a framed image.
Mayor of Basildon, Cllr Luke Mackenzie, presented the nominees with their awards:
“It’s an absolute pleasure to recognise individuals who go above and beyond to represent their
borough with such passion.
“The winners of the Alf Dove Award give up their time to improve local peoples’ lives, and
their actions inspire us all to take pride in our community.”
The Alf Dove Award was established to mark the 43 years of service of Alf Dove and his significant contribution as a councillor when he retired in 1999. The award seeks to recognise significant contributions made by individuals to the wellbeing of the local community.