Ads help us keep this site online
Police are reminding people to take care when driving today following approximately 16 road collisions in one hour across Essex (07:30hrs to 08:30hrs) Wednesday February 13, 2013 due to icy roads making driving hazardous.
• Make sure all your car lights are working and you have no failed bulbs. Ensure that dirt, salt and snow is cleared away from light fixtures.
• Always ensure all windows are fully cleared of snow, frost and condensation before setting off on a journey – it is illegal to drive with obscured vision.
• Also clear snow from the top of the car as this can fall down and obscure your windscreen while you are driving.
• Keep windscreen washer fluid topped up as windscreens quickly become dirty from traffic spray and salt from the roads.
• Make sure you have sufficient fuel for your journey. Keep the fuel tank topped up.
• Give yourself extra time for your journey and drive at a constant speed. Accept your journey will take longer and don’t take risks.
• Take a mobile telephone with you and make sure it is fully charged. Carry a mobile charger in the car.
• If you get stuck stay with your car, but in an emergency if you do need to leave it, park it out of the main traffic route, where it won’t cause an obstruction when conditions ease. Leave a contact number on the inside of the windscreen and return to your car at the first opportunity you have.