Ads help us keep this site online

Sports update

6th May 2013
Posted by Danny Lawrence

The Vortex Lakeside Hammers head into their next fixture, which is away against the Coventry Bees on Bank Holiday Monday, 6th May, with the positive news that their influential skipper Davey Watt is set to return to racing action this weekend.
The Australian, who broke his scaphoid in a heat 15 crash at the Arena Essex Raceway in the Sky Sports Elite League match against Swindon in April, is set to practice in Poland on Saturday before making his competitive return for his Polish club on Sunday.
The Vortex Hammers team to face the Bees on Monday will have one change, with popular Double Up reserve Richard Lawson due to ride for his parent club Workington. Todd Kurtz, the Australian Under 21 rider who has been in good form for his Premier League side, the Plymouth Devils, comes into the team. Action at Brandon gets underway at 7.30pm.
The next home action for the Vortex Hammers will be the following Friday, 10th May, when they take on the Peterborough Panthers in the Sky Sports Elite League. The usual 8pm first heat start time will apply

STUART Bingham’s snooker world championship dream came crashing down on Wednesday after losing his quarter final to Ronnie O’Sullivan.
The Basildon player made it through to his first ever Cruicible quarter final in Sheffield after seeing off Mark Davis in the second round.
However, Bingham faced one of the most successful players of the modern era in the final eight and was on the back foot from the very start.
O’Sullivan won the first frame 133-0 and the Rocket carried the momentum through the next six frames to lead by seven frames to nil, notching up several century scorelines.
Bingham managed to salvage the final frame before the end of Tuesday’s session to get him off the mark, but with a seven to one frame lead, O’Sullivan was in control of proceedings.
When play commenced on Wednesday the lead grew and Bingham had no answer to O’Sullivan’s onslaught who extended his lead to twelve frames to one.
It was almost over for Bingham as he had to win all of the remaining twelve frames to win, but just one more would have been enough for O’Sullivan to reach the 13 frame finishing line.
Bingham did not relent however, and made the Rocket wait a little longer before he could book himself into the semi finals by winning the next three frames.
But the final say went to O’Sullivan who won the seventeenth frame bringing their quarter final match to an early conclusion.
Despite his defeat, Bingham said he was proud to have reached his first quarter final in the championship.
O’Sullivan began his campaign for a spot in the final against Judd Trump on Thursday with the winner playing the victor of the second semi final – either Ricky Walden or Barry Hawkins – in the final showdown over the bank holiday weekend.
The champion is set to be crowned on Monday evening