Ads help us keep this site online
The London 2012 Olympics begins on 27th July, followed by the Paralympic Games on 29th August. The Olympic Flame will be passing through the street and community of Basildon Borough this Friday, 6th July. This is a momentous occasion for the borough, with Basildon Council working hard.
Thousands of people are expected to line the streets of Basildon as the Olympic Flame passes through the borough, and Gateway 97.8 will be there reporting live throughout Drivetime between 4pm and 7pm.
Torch Relay Timetable
• The First torchbearer will run from Uppermayne along Cranes Farm Road to Basildon Sporting Village at 3:40pm.
• A scheduled stop will take at the Basildon Sporting Village before the torch leaves at 4:10pm.
• The torch will travel along Uppermayne (ideal viewing location),
• past the Council Offices and Towngate Theatre,
• along Roundacre and Southernhay, past the bus station,
• then passing under the railway bridge, continuing down Cherrydown East and Ashdon Way,
• then rejoins Nethermayne, from where it will then move on to Grays.
Arrive early to ensure a good view
Thousands of people are expected to line the streets of Basildon as the Olympic Flame passes through Basildon Borough, and The Torch Relay will go ahead whatever the weather.
• You should bring your own refreshments. Please take litter home or use litter bins.
• Be aware there will be no additional car parking available within the town centre.
• If possible walk, cycle, use public transport or park further away as parking will be limited and there is likely to be traffic disruption.
• Allow plenty of time to get to your chosen area and try to arrive one hour before the torch is due to arrive.
• Be aware of your surroundings, especially if you’re chatting on your mobile phone or listening to your iPod.
• Whenever possible, walk facing oncoming traffic.
• The route will be busy so please keep young children with you at all times.
Road Closures and Public Transport
To ensure the safety and enjoyment of the event the route will be closed from 2:00pm – All roads will re-open again as soon as it is safe to do so.
A1235 Cranes Farm Road, Basildon Sporting Village, A176 Upper Mayne, A176 Roundacre, Southernhay, Crayhill Road, Ashdon Way, A176 Nether Mayne will all be closed in both directions to all traffic, for the duration of the parade and will be re-opened as soon as it is safe to do so by 6:00pm the latest.
Alternative routes into and out of Basildon should be used on Friday. Roads are likely to be busy so wherever possible use public transport.
Please note that all bus stops along the Torch Relay route will be suspended during the afternoon of Friday 6 July.
Trains on c2c between Shoeburyness and Fenchurch Street, and Greater Anglia between Southend Victoria and Liverpool Street, will be operating as normal.
For the safety, parking and loading, will be prohibited along the entire route of the Olympic torch relay on 6th July 2012. This will mean that residents and visitors should find alternative places to park on the day of the event, such as in side roads adjoining the route, where this is permitted, and in the car parks in and around Basildon.
Dawn Barnard – Age 48
Heng Yang Zhou – Age 42
Anna Harvey – Age 12
George Jeffery – Age 14
Hannah Agyeman-Prempeh – Age 24
Holly Worthington – Age 19
Hussain Manawer – Age 21
Jon Metcalf – Age 52
Marc Grayston – Age 27
Millie Downes – Age 16
Tricia Sharpe – Age 51
Wenhui Huang – Age 48
Wes Reilly – Age 32
You can find out more about them on the London 2012 – Meet the Torchbearers web page.
Do you know any of these Torchbearers who are carrying the Torch this Friday? We are looking to speak with them. Call or text 01268 833978 or send an email to [email protected].
You’ll find everything you need to know on Drivetime this Friday between 4pm and 7pm. Tune in to Gateway 97.8 by visiting the new UK Radioplayer on our website www.gateway978.com and clicking the Listen Live button on the top of the page, on 97.8FM on your radio, or install the TuneIn Radio Player App on to your mobile phone device and search for us. Basildon and East Thurrock’s Brighter Sound, coming to you from the heart of Eastgate.